Call for proposals for awarding the ELKH Prize
The Governing Board of the Eötvös Loránd Research Network Secretariat (hereinafter: ELKH Secretariat) established the Eötvös Loránd Research Network Prize (hereinafter: Prize) on May 5, 2021, which will ensure that the international and national recognition of ELKH is further enhanced and the name of Loránd Eötvös is preserved.
Purpose of awarding the Prize
The aim of the Prize is to provide moral and financial recognition, irrespective of age, primarily for the professional work of researchers from Hungary and abroad working in research centers, independent research institutes and research groups affiliated with universities, whether they are central budgetary bodies or commercial companies, under the governance of the ELKH Secretariat.
In the event of exceptional professional excellence, the Prize may also be awarded to a Hungarian or foreign researcher who is not working at a research site under the management of the ELKH Secretariat, for example at a higher education institution or other research organization with established cooperation with the ELKH Secretariat or is otherwise affiliated with ELKH. For researchers working at institutions outside the management of the ELKH Secretariat, the President of ELKH, the Scientific Council and the members of the Governing Board may nominate persons for the Prize.
Principles of awarding the Prize
The award of the Prize is conditional on an outstanding professional career, achievements, outstanding research results, patents, etc. of Hungarian and international reputation, the scientific value of which justifies the recognition. In the award process, priority is given to the achievements of any individual or research group supported by important publications in the subject. The Prize is awarded annually to one person and may not be awarded to the same person for a period of five years.
Submission of nominations
- In the case of a researcher nominated for the Prize by a research center or an independent research institute, the nomination documents – Annexes 1–3, the nominee’s CV (in signed pdf format) and the certificate of legal status (in signed pdf format) – shall be sent to the head of the research site; in the case of a researcher of a supported research group, to the head of the research group, so that the submitter can send the documentation to the ELKH Department of Network Development (hereinafter: Department of Network Development) in the manner and by the date indicated in the call for proposals;
- In the case of a researcher nominated for the Prize from Hungarian or foreign research sites or higher education institutions not under the management of the ELKH Secretariat, the President of ELKH, a member of the Scientific Council or a member of the Governing Board will submit the nomination and the consent to process personal information (Annex 1 and 2) directly to the Department of Network Development in the manner and by the date indicated in the call for proposals.
Formal requirements for the nomination
The documents to be submitted in connection with the nomination can be downloaded in an editable format from the ELKH website (www.elkh.org) and they include:
- the nominees’s completed data form and a statement of his/her achievements (outstanding career, achievements, excellent research results, patents, etc.), signed in pdf format as well as in Word format (Annex 1);
- the nominee’s declaration of consent to the processing of his/her personal data (Annex 2);
- a statement by the head of the research site/head of the supported research group (Annex 3);
Evaluation of the proposals
The submitted proposals will be assessed by an Award Committee. Based on the evaluation of the Awards Committee, the Governing Board of the ELKH Secretariat will decide on the winner.
The nomination documents must be submitted electronically to the Department of Network Development (email@example.com) by July 5, 2021, at 5 pm.
Sum and award of the Prize
Based on the decision of the Presidency, a cash award of HUF 3 000 000 gross, i.e. three million Hungarian forints gross is linked to the Prize. The award ceremony will take place in November 2021.
The winning nominee will be notified personally by the Department of Network Development. The name of the winner and laudation of his or her work will be published on the website of the ELKH Secretariat and the research organization employing the winner.
Grounds for exclusion from winning the Prize
Proposals submitted after the deadline specified in the call for proposals, or which do not otherwise meet the requirements of the call for proposals, and where deficiences cannot be corrected, will be rejected without checking its merits. The reason for the rejection must be stated and justified.
The Prize cannot be awarded to a person who:
- provides false, incorrect or misleading information or made a statement to this effect that materially affected the decision;
- fails to make the declarations specified in this call for proposals, fails to submit the necessary documents or withdraws the declaration made.
If the nomination is rejected for its merits, there is no right of appeal. For further information on the nomination, please contact the Department of Network Development.
Budapest, May 14, 2021
Miklós Maróth President